What is a Belief System?
Our belief system includes our beliefs, decisions, attitudes, agreements, judgments, expectations, vows and oaths. Any beliefs that agree with God (His Word, His nature, His character, etc.) are our godly beliefs. Any beliefs that do not agree with God (His Word, His nature, His character, etc.) contribute to our ungodly beliefs. Our beliefs affect who we are, how we perceive ourselves and how we relate to others, to the world around us, and to God. They determine how Christ-like we become, and even the quality of our Christian lives. The ungodly beliefs can be like a vise grip putting tight constraint on our lives, choking out the abundant life that Jesus promises.
The “perfect” ungodly belief is one that appears to be absolutely true based on the facts of our experience and yet it is absolutely false based on God’s word.
- "No one loves me."
- "I am all alone."
- "I am defective."
- "God doesn’t love me."
Although these statements are completely false, most people who think this way do not even realize it. Until an ungodly belief is pointed out to us, we continue on, day after day, living our life based on a lie. When we finally recognize an ungodly belief, we realize how completely at odds it is with God’s Word.
satan, the Author of Lies
John 8:44 clearly warns us that satan is a liar, it is his character and he hates the truth. Exposing ungodly beliefs exposes satan's continuous attempts to drive us away from God's truth which states we are His beloved children (Jn 1:12).
Our Concept of Truth
And that is God’s Truth.
The real Truth is what He says about you and the situation.
What Are Ungodly Beliefs and How Are They Formed?
- We inherit wrong beliefs from our families or friends.
- They are lies that have been formed in us since childhood about ourselves, others and God.
- They are formed out of our experience.
- Beliefs are formed from hurts, traumas, negative experiences, and words people say to us.
- Beliefs are formed from the facts of our experiences.
- An ungodly belief is a belief or attitude that does not agree with the Word of God.
The most tragic ungodly beliefs satan has introduced to this generation are:
- You came from nothing.
- You live for no reason.
- You are going nowhere.
- You will never succeed.
Some Results of Ungodly Beliefs
- set us up for unhappy relationships.
- cause distortion so that we make mountains out of mole hills.
- cause us to take everything personally.
- cause us to be a prisoner to put-downs or sarcasm, anger or other unhealthy patterns of relating.
- cause us to hurt and defile those we love.
- cause our faith to be eroded.
- undermine our relationship with God.
- give place for Demonic Oppression.
- hinder God’s blessings.
- trap us so that we don’t’ fulfill our destiny.
John 8:44 (NIV)
John 1:12 (NIV)